10 Nov Do You Put Anything Under Carpet Tiles?
Carpet tiles or carpet squares are a popular flooring option for a variety of reasons. They are durable, easy to install, and come in a wide range of styles and colours. But do you put anything under carpet tiles?
The answer is yes, there are a number of benefits to putting something under carpet tiles, including:
- Improved comfort: Carpet squares installed over underlayment are more comfortable to walk on than carpet tiles installed directly on the subfloor.
- Reduced noise: Underlayment can help to reduce noise transmission from footfall and other sources.
- Improved thermal insulation: Underlayment can help to improve the thermal insulation of your floor, making your home more comfortable in both the winter and the summer.
- Moisture protection: Underlayment can help to protect your subfloor from moisture damage.
Types of Underlayment for Carpet Tiles
There are a number of different types of underlayment that can be used under carpet tiles. Some of the most common types include:
- Foam underlayment: Foam underlayment is a popular choice for carpet squares because it is soft and comfortable, and it provides good sound and thermal insulation.
- Rubber underlayment: Rubber underlayment is another popular choice for carpet squares because it is durable and water-resistant. It is also a good choice for reducing noise transmission.
- Cork underlayment: Cork underlayment is a natural product that is soft and comfortable, and it provides good sound and thermal insulation. It is also environmentally friendly.
Which Type of Underlayment is Best for You?
The best type of underlayment for you will depend on your specific needs and budget. Here is a brief overview of the different types of underlayment and their benefits:
- Foam underlayment: Foam underlayment is the most affordable type of underlayment, and it is also the easiest to install. It is a good choice for moderate to heavy traffic areas.
- Rubber underlayment: Rubber underlayment is more expensive than foam underlayment, but it is also more durable and water-resistant. It is a good choice for high traffic areas and areas that are prone to moisture.
- Cork underlayment: Cork underlayment is the most expensive type of underlayment, but it is also the most environmentally friendly. It is a good choice for moderate traffic areas and areas where you want to improve the sound and thermal insulation of your floor.
When to Use Underlayment with Carpet Tiles
Underlayment should always be used when installing carpet squares over a concrete subfloor. Concrete is a hard and cold surface, and underlayment can help to improve the comfort and insulation of your floor.
Underlayment is also recommended when installing carpet squares over a wooden subfloor, especially if the subfloor is uneven or if there are any gaps between the floorboards. Underlayment can help to smooth out the subfloor and prevent the carpet tiles from buckling or lifting.
How to Install Carpet Tiles Over Underlayment
Installing carpet tiles over underlayment is a relatively straightforward process. Here are the basic steps:
- Prepare the subfloor. Make sure that the subfloor is clean, dry, and level. Any imperfections in the subfloor should be repaired before installing the underlayment.
- Roll out the underlayment. Start by rolling out the underlayment in one corner of the room. Overlap the seams by at least 6 inches and tape them together with double-sided tape. Continue rolling out the underlayment until the entire subfloor is covered.
- Install the carpet tiles. Start by installing the carpet squares in the center of the room and work your way out to the edges. Trim the carpet tiles to fit around the perimeter of the room.
Tips for Installing Carpet Tiles Over Underlayment
Here are a few tips for installing carpet squares or tiles over underlayment:
- Use a sharp utility knife for trimming. This will help to ensure a clean and even cut.
- Be careful not to over-tighten it. This can cause them to buckle or lift.
- If you are installing in a high-traffic area, you may want to consider using a carpet tile adhesive. This will help to keep the carpet tiles in place.
Why Seek Professional Assistance?
While it is possible to install carpet squares over underlayment yourself, we recommend seeking professional assistance if you are not comfortable doing so. Professional carpet installers have the experience and expertise to ensure that your carpet tiles are installed correctly and securely.
Putting a layer of underlayment under carpet squares is a great way to improve the comfort, insulation, and soundproofing of your floor. There are a number of different types of underlayment available, so you can choose the one that best meets your needs and budget. If you are not comfortable installing carpet tiles over underlayment yourself, we recommend seeking professional assistance.
Contact us today to learn more about our carpet tile installation services. We offer a free consultation and will be happy to answer any questions you may have.